Supporting you in a calm & holistic environment during the normal life events of pregnancy & birth.
My team is made up of Certified Professional Midwives who are licensed by the state of Tennessee (CPM-TN). Currently I (Tanya) am the only full time midwife in the practice. I specialize in low-risk, home and water birth deliveries with an emphasis on the Midwives Model of Care™.
The Midwives Model of Care
The Midwives Model of Care™ is a fundamentally different approach to pregnancy and childbirth than contemporary obstetrics. Midwifery care is uniquely nurturing, hands-on care before, during, and after birth. Midwives are health care professionals specializing in pregnancy and childbirth who develop a trusting relationship with their clients, which results in confident, supported labor and birth. While there are different types of midwives practicing in various settings, all midwives are trained to provide comprehensive prenatal care and education, guide labor and birth, address complications, and care for newborns. The Midwives Model of Care™ is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life events.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- minimizing technological interventions and
- identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention.
- The application of this model has been proven to reduce to incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section.
(Midwives Model of Care definition is Copyrighted © by the Midwifery Task Force, all rights reserved)
Full Midwifery Services
- Provide individualized family-centered evidence based prenatal care to low risk women
- Nutritional Counseling
- In home and office prenatal care, once a month until 32 weeks, every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, and then once a week until baby is born
- Continuous labor support throughout active labor
- Specialized in home birth, including water birth
- Birth pools available to clients at no additional cost (new liner and new water hose must be purchased by client)
- Provide Immediate postpartum care for at least 2 hours after baby is born
- Perform initial newborn exam, including metabolic, congenital heart defect screening and newborn hearing screen
- Postpartum care for mother and baby in your home, 24 to 48 hours after birth, 1 week home visit, then a 3 week phone visit or office visit, if indicated, and 6 week office visit
- Initial breastfeeding support and referral to a lactation consultant if needed
- Collaborative care with midwives, chiropractors, obstetricians, family practice providers and pediatricians
- Connect you to prenatal/childbirth classes, labor and postpartum doulas, placenta encapsulation services and breastfeeding resources in your community